It’s Turkey Month, and there are so many things to be grateful for in a world filled with seemingly more bad stuff than good. So at the height of some self-imposed deadline pressures, I’m taking a reflective moment. *Clears throat* In honor of Thanksgiving, here’s my Baker’s Dozen list of things for which I’m most grateful (in no particular order):
1. I’m grateful for self-imposed deadlines. Without them, I’d be floundering through life and would probably get to the end of it wishing I’d done a few things like, oh, gee, I don’t know . . . write and publish a few books? (Must remember this the mornings I wake up bleary-eyed!)
2. I’m grateful for kitty puke. ‘Cause this means my three are still around. (Yeah, I tell myself this while I clean up said puke.)
3. I’m grateful when I wake up to snores from Hubby. Same reason I appreciate kitty puke. 🙂 Hmmm. . . I wonder how he’d feel being compared to puke?
4. I’m grateful for CrossFit workouts. (And I’m not just saying it in case my coach decides to read this post!) Even though I’m generally miserable in the middle of one, I also know I’m getting stronger. At least, that’s what I tell myself while I’m gasping for air.
5. I’m grateful for my writer friends. They “get” me and the various convoluted story scenarios I come up with. (Generally, their imaginations end up just as twisted!) They’re so willing to share their time and talent with others, and drive me to keep on going.
6. I’m grateful for a really great book. I know how hard it is to write a book, let alone a really GREAT book. Hats off to authors who make me smile, make me cry, make me want to live the story along with the characters.
7. I’m grateful for chocolate and a good Cab Sauv. (Did you really think this wouldn’t make the list?) Coupled with a fireplace or a sunset – maybe both – it’s the perfect start to a romantic evening. (You listening, Hubby?)
8. I’m grateful for my day job. I couldn’t imagine working with a better group of
alpha males guys who prove over and over that they’re each the butt heads heroes of their own stories. They fuel my imagination, and occasionally snippets of who they are sneak into a scene. (Head out of the gutter, dudes. I don’t know any of you that well!)
9. I’m grateful for red pens. Heaven knows I’ve gone through boxes of them while cleaning up a manuscript. Maybe I should invest in a red pen factory. Huh. There’s a thought. . ..
10. I’m grateful for my mom. Because of her example, I’ve turned into the woman I am. ‘Course, not every guy I work with appreciates that.
11. I’m grateful for the love and support of family and friends. (Yeah, I’m quickly heading into sappy mode. *Groan* Bear with me!) No, seriously, without them in my corner, I’d have probably given up on the writing thing a LONG time ago. (Okay, okay. So I’m lying! Sigh. You peeps know me too well.) It is true that they’re the best bunch of people I could possibly surround myself with.
12. I’m grateful for manuscript requests. . .. and rejections. Strangely, for the same reason: someone cared enough to want to read my work. ‘Course contracts would be greatly appreciated, too. Just sayin’ 🙂
13. I’m grateful for others’ time. Like yours. In a world filled with a thousand different things you could be doing, you’ve dropped by my blog. I am honored. Thank you!
So. What are you grateful for?